Areca Backup is a personal data backup utility, developed in Java and released under the General Public License, which you can download and use for free. This program published by Olivier Petrucci and can be used for Windows and Linux operating system.
The software allows user to backup files and entire folders and store them on the local hard drive, external hard drive, or FTP server. To save space, image can be written in compressed state. The compression file can be zip or zip 64, and program offers 9 compression levels, encoding and splitting options. Backup file can be encrypted as well to ensure the data security. The program provides three backup types: Incremental, Differential and Full Backup; three storage modes: Standard, Delta and Image.
The software has been designed with the following points in mind:
- To be as simple as possible to setup: No complex configuration editing is required and your backup configuration, which is stored as an XML file, can be easily edited with Areca's graphical user interface.
- To be as versatile as possible : Areca can use advanced backup modes (like "delta backup") or simply produce a "basic" copy of your source files as a standard directory or zip archive (readable by WinZip or any other archivers).
- To offer you interaction with your archives and the files they contain: Track different versions of a specific file, browse your archives, recover or view specific files, merge a set of archives, etc.
Backup Engine Features
* Archives compression (Zip & Zip64 format)
* Archives encryption (AES128 & AES256 encryption algorithms)
* Storage on local hard drive, network drive, USB key, FTP / FTPs server (with implicit and explicit SSL / TLS)
* Source file filters (by extension, subdirectory, regular expression, size, date, status, with AND/OR operators)
* Incremental, differential and full backup support
* Archives merges / deletion : You can merge contiguous archives in one single archive or safely delete your latest archives.
* As of date recovery: Areca allows you to recover your archives (or single files) as of a specific date.
* Transaction mechanism: All critical processes (such as backups or merges) support a transaction mechanism (with commit / rollback management) which guarantees your backups' integrity.
* Backup reports: Areca generates backup reports that can be stored on your disk or sent by email.
* Post backup scripts: Areca can launch shell scripts after backup.
* Files permissions and symbolic links backup. (Linux only)
* Support for delta backup (store only the modified parts of the files - not the whole files)
Graphical User Interface
* Archives content explorer (including a 'find file in archives' feature)
* Archive description : A manifest is associated to each archive, which contains various information such as author, title, date, description, and some technical data.
* File history explorer: Areca keeps track of your file's history (creation / modifications / deletion) over your archives.
* Backup simulation: the feature is useful to check whether a backup is necessary
* User's actions history: Areca keeps an history of all user's actions (archives deletion, merges, backups, recoveries).
* Areca comes with a command-line interface which can be used for backup automation.
Areca has been localized to multiple languages: Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish.
Developer’s website: http://www.areca-backup.org/
Direct downloading link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/areca/files/areca-stable/areca-7.1.10/areca-7.1.10-win32-setup.exe/download