VirusTotal is a service developed by Hispasec Sistemas that analyzes suspicious files and URLs enabling the identification of viruses, worms, trojans and other kinds of malicious content detected by antivirus engines and web analysis toolbars.
This is a free online service, which does not require users to register for the site or login in any way. The operation is simple and straight-forward:
- If you have file on your computer, which looks suspicious, you can submit it to the service for review and assessment. Submission can be performed in real-time through web form, via email or using VirusTotal's public API. Note the maximum file size is 20 MB.
- You also can submit suspicious URL for review through the same web form or using VirusTotal's public API.
VirusTotal's main characteristics are:
- Free, independent service.
- Runs multiple antivirus engines.
- Runs multiple file characterization tools.
- Real time automatic updates of virus signatures.
- Detailed results from each antivirus engine.
- Runs multiple web site inspection toolbars.
- Real time global statistics.
- Analysis automation API.
- Online malware research community.
- Desktop applications (VTUploader, VTzilla) for interacting with the service.
Developers’ website: http://www.virustotal.com/