This open source folder comparison and synchronization tool will compare files by scanning their contents or by file size and date; it can synchronize files and subfolders, process multiple pairs of folders at once, load/save folder comparison sessions, create batch jobs that can be run from the command line, and can handle cloned files (i.e. symbolic links or junctures). It also allows for custom syncing rules and command line option.
The utility has easy to understand, intuitive, interface with the two-pane “visual comparison” abilities.
- Compare files (bytewise or by date) and synchronize them.
- No limitations: An arbitrary number of files can be synchronized.
- Unicode support.
- Network support.
- Built-in support for very long filenames (more than MAX_PATH = 260 characters).
- Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection
- Support for multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration
- Full support for Windows/Linux Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points.
- Lean & easily accessible UI: Highly optimized for speed and huge sets of data.
- Algorithms coded in C++ completely.
- All progress indicators optimized for maximum performance!
- Create Batch Jobs for automated synchronization with or without GUI.
- Focus on usability:
- Only necessary functionality on UI: no overloaded menus or icon jungle.
- Select all folders via drag & drop.
- Last used configuration and screen settings are saved automatically.
- Maintain and load different configurations by drag & drop, load-button or commandline.
- Double-click to start external application (e.g. show file in Windows Explorer)
- Copy & paste all grid data as text
- Delete superfluous/temporary files directly on main grid.
- Right-click context menu.
- Comprehensive status information and error reporting
- Sort file-lists by name, size or date.
- Support for filesizes larger than 4 GB.
- Option to move files to Recycle Bin instead of deleting/overwriting them.
- Ignore directories "\RECYCLER" and "\System Volume Information" with default Filter. (Windows only)
- Localized versions are available for many languages.
- Delete before copy: Avoid disc space shortages for large sync-jobs.
- Filter functionality to include/exclude files from synchronization (without requiring a re-compare!).
- Include/exclude specific files from synchronization temporarily.
- Automatically handle daylight saving time changes on FAT/FAT32 volumes.
- Portable version available (selectable via installer).
- Native 64-Bit version.
- Check for updates from within FreeFileSync automatically.
- Copy locked files using Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. (Windows only)
- Create regular backups with macros %time%, %date% within directory names
- Copy file and folder create/access/modification times when synchronizing
- Advanced locking strategy to allow multiple synchronization processes (e.g. multiple writers, same network share)
Screenshots (Click to Enlarge):
The utility is highly recommended. After checking its capabilities, I switched to use it, replacing the previously used GoodSync utility for my personal needs.