Sounds really good! Symform offers you much more online space for your critical data backup than Adrive or Windows Live SkyDrive, we reviewed earlier, but… there is a catch. Symform does not offer you its own server space; instead, it arranges cloud communication between multiple computers to exchange the space. So, in order to get 200 GB of online space for free, you need to donate the certain amount of space from your computer storage. Which is, probably, also not a big deal, taking in account how relatively cheap the modern Hard Drives are, and fact that for many a huge amount of space will never be used to a full capacity. So, you get certain peace of mind for giving away a small share of your computer storage.
Free Storage Schemes
Getting free cloud storage is easy – the only thing you need to do is contribute your excess local storage to the Symform network. To make sure your data is protected and available when you need it, we build redundancy into the data you store in the cloud. So you’ll have to contribute 1.5 GB of data for every 1GB you want to store. For example, if you want to store 200GB, you need to contribute 1.5 times that amount, or 300GB of local storage, to the network.
The software takes your data, breaks it into 64 MB blocks, encrypts each block with AES-256 encryption, using a hash of the block as the encryption key, and then shards the encrypted block into as many as 96 pieces, where each piece includes an additional 50% of erasure coding replication data.
That’s why to get 100 GB of free online storage, you have to offer 150 GB - 50% more - of your own local storage.
So, you can get:
- 10 GB immediately after you setup Symform account. Download the client, install it on your computer, and join the Symform Cloud Storage Network. Note that you need to have a valid email address to establish your account.
- 100 GB of space if you pledge to contribute 150 GB to the Symform Network.
- Up to 200GB by referring Symform to your friends and colleagues. They get free storage and you get 10 GB additional free storage for every referral that starts a new account, inspired by your recommendations.
The Symform Storage Cloud is a great solution for business online backup, complete with powerful features and affordable pricing (if you decide you do not want to share your own space or if you need more online storage). Once you’ve signed up for your free 200GB Symform account, installation and setup are a breeze.
You can use Symform to back up all your data and devices, from laptops to personal computers to servers to NAS boxes. Other online backup services use centralized architectures that are less affordable, efficient, secure, and reliable than Symform’s decentralized cloud storage network.
- Simply point Symform at the folders you wish to back up to the cloud and you’re good to go.
- Symform will quickly synchronize your files to the secure storage cloud.
- The lightweight Symform client runs in the background, continuously monitoring your folders for changes to synchronize. Symform is truly “set and forget.”
- In the event of file loss or corruption, Symform can be quickly configured to bring your online backup files safely back from the cloud to your local device.
Contributing excess local storage to the Symform Cloud Storage Network is easy and safe. To get up to 200GB of free cloud storage, or unlimited cloud storage for a low flat fee, you just need to maintain a contribution-to-sync ratio.
- Select the “Contribute” checkbox during set up.
- Select a contribution folder on a non-mobile, always-on device. This will be known as your contribution device.
- As you synchronize more data in the cloud, just make sure you contribute an equal amount of local disk space to the Symform network.
Developers’ website: http://www.symform.com/